[NTLK] Cleaning or restoring battery cage contacts

Steven M. Spiegel appledoctor at cox.net
Sun Sep 25 13:57:33 EDT 2011

Steven,

I've been on this list for many years but have not been a big
participator in the messages. All of out Newton stuff is neatly packed
away for years also. Since I've been in the Apple II and Mac repair
business for 29 years, a situation like yours is not uncommon. What I
have found that works well to remove battery leakage and corrosion is
to mix warm water and baking soda in a bowl large enough  to
accommodate you battery holder. Submerge the holder in the water for
about 15 minutes then remove it and dry thoroughly and use canned air
to really blow all the water off it. This will usually eat the
corrosion off.

In looking at your photos, it looks like what you've got may be rust
as it looks brown to me. Corrosion caused by battery leakage is
usually white. if it's rust, you might have to get  a rust remover,
but use it sparingly like on a Q-tip, then rinse and dry completely as
instructed above.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Steven M. Spiegel     State Lic. #E-26047
The Apple Doctor
29 years in Apple & Mac Service and Repairs
in Orange County, California