[NTLK] Speech recognition.

Max Smith maxmaxmaxmaxsmith at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 09:49:54 EDT 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 3:41 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

> handwriting for me is a chore I avoid at all costs.

I don’t think I avoid it at all costs, but handwriting is certainly a
chore for me.

> The irony is that when I wrote on my Newton, though, it tended to
> work better,
> because I didn't have to understand what I wrote, nor did I have to
> worry about character size,
> spacing, etc. I just scratched it out as fast as possible, and let
> my Newt
> pick up the pieces, and the result was always almost 99% right.

This is why I have trouble with pen/paper writing. I’m a
perfectionist, and although I actually have very nice handwriting, it
takes me a very long time to write anything. I’m also very particular
about the writing utensils that I use. I usually go for bold, black,
semi-markers. I also write in all caps, which is a problem with the
Newton, and all other handwriting recognition systems I have used.

I do think that typing is the best way for me, as I don’t really want
to disturb people with a dictation software like Dragon—which I doubt
my old iMac can even run anyway. Typing is also faster than HWR for
me, although I’m not actually a very good typist. Heck, I can’t even
“touch type” I have a very advanced method of “hunt and peck”.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.