[NTLK] eMate

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 11:51:44 EDT 2012

Hello,

>You can tell if the hinge has failed by how soft the lid feels when you open and
>close it. If the >lid feels really loose when you open it, if it doesn't stay
>open at 1/2 or less, and seems to
>
>close without resistance...

A teardown might not be a bad idea at this point because, either way, it would
be a good idea to either A) preserve an intact ribbon cable or B) fix a broken
one.

Frank Gruendel has detailed teardown instructions on his website:

http://www.pda-soft.de/body_emate_disassemble.html

If you don't want to do the teardown yourself, there are a few people on the
list who might still be offering the hinger repair.  I'm not sure who, exactly,
at this point, but a shout out to the list will tell you.

Alternately, you might consider purchasing a replacement unit from Stefan
Thorsteinson (who is currently offering them for $20 each).  However, he has a
limited number of units available and he might already be sold out.  It's also
worth mentioning that acquiring another eMate will still require you (or
someone) to perform the hinge repair on it in order to keep it in operating
condition.

Best,

James Fraser