[NTLK] Linear Flash Cards

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Sun Dec 2 10:35:18 EST 2012

I would be careful how you ask.  Just ask simply "what where these used
for or in?"  Something to that effect.  Don't say why you are wondering
or ask "how many write cycles are left in these?" as the seller might
say "oh a lot don't worry about that" etc.  Or otherwise skew the answer
in their favor.

-Dan

*snip*
> What this means for you, the (potentially) hapless end user, is that you can purchase a card that is currently "known good" but that is a relatively few write cycles away from conking out the way that Frank Gruendel's card did. Naturally, I only saw Frank's informative post well after I'd bought a fair number of "known good" cards myself; now I have no idea how many write cycles are likely left on those cards.  Please do not be a Silly-Nilly by following in my footsteps.
>
> At one time, Frank had a number of 20MB LF cards available at a reasonable price point that were known to have a low number of write cycles.  Whether he's still offering them is something only he would be able to tell you.  You can find him on the list, or reach him via his site (http://www.pda-soft.de) and ask.  Likewise, a WTB post to the list might yield a reply from someone who has a spare flash card lying around and can tell you from whence it came.
>
> Otherwise, you're stuck with having to interrogate eBay sellers as to where the cards thay are offering came from, exactly, and they don't always know (or care).  At the very least, I would hope the eBay seller you mentioned who is asking ~$30 for a 20MB card is offering some sort of warranty on the things.
*snip*