[NTLK] End of year reflections

Andrei Chichak newton at chichak.ca
Mon Dec 31 13:09:08 EST 2012

On 2012-December-31, at 6:00 AM, Lord Groundhog wrote:

> What was the thought process behind this change of heart?   I guess we’re
> waiting for more correspondence to emerge.

At that time, Steve and Bill were having their spats. Bill decides that Apple must die, and since Macintosh without Office is a dead product, Microsoft will halt development of Office for Mac.

Bill wants Windows CE to (not suck) succeed, but Newton is raising expectations and market share in the handheld market.

A meeting is called with the result that Office for Mac continues, Microsoft buys a bunch of shares in Apple, and Apple drops out of the hand held device market and WinCE becomes the dominant platform for all future hand held devices.

But could Microsoft stand by and not snatch defeat from the hands of glory? Oh, no, the lure of suckage was far too great. So Apple ate their lunch and resurrected the Newton into the iPod/iPad.

This is my theory, which belongs to me.

Andrei