[NTLK] Using a Newton keyboard via Serial-USB adapter with a Mac or PC?

Andrei Chichak newton at chichak.ca
Wed Jan 4 21:24:42 EST 2012

Yes, OS don't care.

I worked on one project (www.theperegrine.com) that is a glove that appears as a keyboard. On a Mac it detects as a keyboard and asks you to hit a couple of keys to figure out which keyboard it is, on a PC it detects as a keyboard and makes you reboot, on Linux it detects as a keyboard and just works, someone plugged it into an xbox or a wii and it detected as a keyboard.

The interface spec for keyboards under USB is pretty complete, so they are mostly plug and play, unlike serial ports that need drivers or inf files on windows (even though Mac needs little).

Andrei