[NTLK] [ANN] The Newton FAQ ... Now on GitHub!

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Fri Jan 13 15:01:06 EST 2012

On 2012-01-12, at 2:14 PM, Tony Kan wrote:

> In order to maximize the opportunity for community members to contribute
> their efforts I suggest that we should look for something that requires
> little technical skill.  How difficult would it be to turn it into a Wiki?
> I see that Wikipedia's platform is open source.  If this was suitable,
> who/what would host it?

For me, a FAQ and a Wiki are two separate things.

Yes, I would love to be able to have a resource that was easily editable by several authors, but I'm also a control freak. One of the reasons for using source control (like GitHub) is so I can roll back changes and monitor updates easily.

I absolutely appreciate the interest in contributing to the FAQ, but I also want to maintain a cohesive, uniform resource. In its current form, the Newton FAQ is more of a fixed historical document than a living one. As a set of static pages, the FAQ can easily be converted to other formats such as Newton Books, eBooks, PDF, or plain text. You can't do that (at least easily) with Wiki-formatted data.

I would prefer to take suggestions from the community for FAQ updates and integrate them within a controlled environment.

That being said, I know that Morgan is close to having a working version of the WikiWikiNewt site available again.

He can better speak to this than I.

g.

Grant Hutchinson

Interface Considerations. Feature Deprecation. Typography. Rawk.

http://splorp.com
http://flickr.com/splorp
http://github.com/splorp
http://twitter.com/splorp