[NTLK] SOPA legislation and Us

Ed Kummel tech_ed at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 16:20:30 EST 2012

For me it was slightly different.
Just recently, in an effort to try and qualify for the Diablo III beta trial, I attempted to install Diablo II from the install disks that I had put away for about a decade, only to find that one of the disks had a scratch on it that prevented installation.
Fire up a torrent client and less than an hour later, I had all three disks, PLUS the expansion pack, for which I have license keys for, and I was able to install Diablo II, sign up for a new Blizzard account (I miss my level 40 Paladin...) and put myself on the list for Diablo III...(I spent years playing this game and have waited for Diablo III!
This same thing happened with my Halo Reach disk. While playing Halo Reach, my console tipped over and the impact caused my disk to become scratched...it's recognized by the console as Halo Reach, but it won't play...Torrent again got me the binaries, which I moved onto the hard drive of my 360, Now, with the scratched Halo Reach disk in the drive, the game plays off of the hard drive with no issues.
In both of these cases, had I not been able to download the copyrighted material from the net, I would have been SOL! in both cases, I have a legitimate license to use the software, and in both cases, the manufacturer would not replace my disks...They only replace disks due to flaws in the disk, not through negligence...In the case of Halo Reach, I had the $150 Legendary pack, so this was an expensive game for me! Not something I wanted to spend another $60 on!

Ed
web/gadget guru

"Oh Yeah...That's the stuff!"
Stewie Griffin, Family Guy