[NTLK] Rebirth of Newtons

Smith Woody woodysmith at me.com
Wed Jul 4 14:50:21 EDT 2012

Go to Simon Bell's site
<http://newtonresearch.org/>
select Newton Connection and download.  You might also be interested
in his email client
Works fine with ethernet, once Newt is set up for ethernet.
Works and notes files are easy to import and export, don't think
syncing is going to happen unless you write an automator script (if
thats possible)
Names sync works possibly with some challenges re: fields best to
check archives.
Search ICVC, I believe you can import calendars to newt but again I
think syncing is weak

Backlights can be had from <http://www.backlight4you.com/index.php/cat/c47_Backlight-Kits.html/XTCsid/93fbc00d504797daf04c8eba99d7a5e0
 > or
search "Newton Sales"
see <http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00backlightreplacement.html> Note that
you have to fully disassemble the Messagepad to get here.  I'd set
aside a couple hours and have a clean workspace where tiny screws
cannot get lost.  I've done it several times and it isn't too bad but
be aware that you may find surprises, many of the screws go into
plastic and if they have been over-tightened or if it has been dropped
you may find damage. (or cause it).  Areas of concern are screws at
bottom of battery silo and on either side of port cover.
In fact the port cover is a good thing to remove since it can sever
the digitizer ribbon if dropped or banged while open.

good luck
Woody