[NTLK] Newton Compact Flash - Battery Life, Alternative storage methods?

Gavin Watson gavin83209 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:58:06 EDT 2012

I only used the 8 GB card for a few days before I traded, so I'm not
sure about the battery life difference. As for adapters, I use a generic
$9 PCMCIA CompactFlash adapter I bought at a local electronics store. As
I understand it, these CF adapters passively route the pins from the
PCMCIA interface to the ATA interface on the CF card, so they shouldn't
use any extra power at all. That said, a CF card that runs only at 5V
and not 3.3V might draw more power. I use rechargeable 2000 mAh AAs in a
battery tray and usually get 3-4 weeks on a charge with just my CF card
and occasionally a Wi-Fi card in use.

I just use folders for sorting packages on Newton OS 2. One nice thing
about NOS is that it doesn't care where you put packages. If you have a
bunch of extensions, for example, you can separate them into several
other folders and the system will find them just fine. If I have a
package that I rarely use, I'll freeze it with the button provided by
Power Prefs or a similar utility and file it in my 'Frozen' folder.