[NTLK] Internet and RAM

Woody Smith woodysmith at me.com
Sun Jul 15 18:50:06 EDT 2012

The Newton works fine with either WiFi or wired and the setup isn't
too bad if you follow a guide carefully.  For wifi you will need WEP
encryption or an open connection.  The difference in the 2000 and 2100
is system (RAM) memory, the 2100 has roughly 4x as much.
There are three choices in my opinion of web browsers; Courier (text
only), NetHopper (fairly traditional browser needs extra extensions
and doesn't work with some sites) and NewtsCape (converts html to
Newton book, can manage some graphics and ignores code it doesn't
understand).  Web browsing with a Newton is only fun in a proof of
concept sense but can be a useful tool for installing packages form
compatible on line servers or your own, This is sometimes more
convenient than serial connection.

I find email to be an excellent way to move content from my newton.
Wireless printing is also possible though I never found it satisfying
with LP driver and CUPS, postscript printers are excellent though
perhaps rare.

I would say go with 2000, setup internet and use Courier for web and
Mail V for email and see how it goes.  If you run into a lot of out of
memory messages, freeze everything you can or upgrade.

Have fun
Woody