[NTLK] Newton WiFi Setup with Lucent WaveLAN Silver and Verizon Wireless Router

William Maloney william.maloney.09 at cnu.edu
Wed Jul 25 22:49:58 EDT 2012

Should have asked this in the beginning but here goes...

So I wanted to try out the whole Newton WiFi thing again. I had
experimented with it some time ago but didn't have a clue about Wireless
networks at all. Here I am, yet again and a little bit more prepared.
Here's what I have done...

1.) Wiped Newton clean
2.) Installed Internet drivers in the right order:

inetenbl.pkg
newtdev.pkg
enetsup.pkg
inetstup.pkg

3.) Installed WiFi Driver
4.) Went into "Internet Setup" and created an Ethernet Connection that was
originally DHCP and selected my card
5.) Inserted the card and setup all the right information in the WiFi card
setup page according to what my wireless G equipped notebook PC told me was
the configurations of the router (a Verizon Wireless Actiontec MI424-WR
Rev. F) WEP is 64-Bit encoded. Settings are as follows:

Mode --> Infastructure
Channel --> 6 (ignored but its what the router said)
SSID --> GY102
WEP Key --> Hexadecimal
Use WEP ---> CHECK
PowerSaveMode --> CHECK

After installing Newtscape, I tested out a website or two but to no avail.
NIE would begin connecting, then read "OPENING LINK PROBLEM CONNECTING,
DHCP SERVER UNAVAILABLE"

Looking on here, I found someone mention to another person configuring
Internet Setup manually to solve certain problems. Using my notebook again,
I listed out the following:

Card --> LucentWaveLAN/IEEE
Subnet Mask --> 255.255.255.0
Local IP --> 192.168.1.5 (IP Address on WinXP)
GateWay/Router Address --> 192.168.1.1 (Default GateWay on WinXP)
Primary DNS --> 192.168.1.1
Domain Name ---> <NONE> (Not sure what to put here)

Now, NIE says that it is connecting, and Newtscape begins to look up the
host and the card starts blinks. Yet after a few seconds, the browser reads
"NO RESPONSE FROM YOUR CURRENT DNS SERVER". When Newtscape is closed
though, it says the card is disconnecting. I feel SO close to getting this
thing online! Can you guys guide me through this? Thanks!

William