[NTLK] The NEWTON COMPLETE Project 1.0

William Maloney william.maloney.09 at cnu.edu
Tue Jun 19 17:09:09 EDT 2012

So, I came up with this idea a few weeks ago and want to know if anyone
else is interested in helping out. I was trying to install a Newton expense
planner as my mom kept misplacing receipts and such while we were on the
road. Thus, I thought most of this software and the ones listed in the
Newton solutions guides could be found for download on the internet. Much
of these are well over 10 years old and fallen in the realm of abandonware.
Such software is increasingly more difficult to find and the survival of
maintaining Newton related websites is becoming more and more stretched.

In an effort to breath new life in to this community and preserve computer
history, I propose the creation of NEWTON COMPLETE - a compilation of all
known Newton software to date. Certainly we cannot get everything, but the
ability to compile many of the titles listed in the Newton Solutions guide,
those on UNNA, updates within Apple's legacy support section, more recent
packages and documents (like those on the MyAppleNewton Blogspot and David
MacNeill's reviews) is absolutely possible. It would take some work,
collaboration, and a bit of time. Yet, I think this would be a God-send to
all Newton users.

In my view, the entire compilation could then be TRADED via DVDs (not sold)
among MessagePad users. In time, perhaps even a torrent could be done to
allow even more access to NEWTON COMPLETE. By the way, I also happen to
have a very old Newton users group software disc with loads of Newton 1.x
software that has been long forgotten and there probably is much more that
can be salvaged. If anybody would like to chip in on this project, please
let us know your ideas, what you can offer, and what you think.

Best,
UncleWill