[NTLK] MP 2000 - The Neverending Restart Of Death

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Sun Mar 18 20:05:26 EDT 2012

> Hi all. I got got my Newton out of mothballs recently and it began a
> Neverending cycle of restarts. I originally put this down to possibly
> being the Y2010 fix, but it's still doing it even after a deep hard
> reset, which I thought would clear the patch.

A hard reset will not clear the patch. To the best of my knowledge Eckhart
provides a patch for the patch if something goes wrong. This patch, if I
remember correctly, will get rid of the Y2K patch. The only other way to get
rid of it is putting in a ROM board of either an eMate or of a 2x00 with a
different language OS.

Of course, in 9 out of 10 cases what you describe is caused by connecting
the Newton to a non-Newton power supply:

	<http://www.pda-soft.de/en/stories/1771/max1771.html>

Good lick!

Frank

Darn... This must be one of the most common mistakes made by
touch-typists... Why did they put the "i" right next to the "u"? I did, of
course, mean "Good luck!"...