[NTLK] Mac Fitering And Encryption

Aaron Brigati abrigati at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:12:37 EDT 2012

Yes, WEP and MAC address filtering are trivial to crack. However, most people aren't going to make any effort _at all_ to crack wifi. The primary reason I have any wifi security on my AP at all is to keep my neighbors from leeching my signal. (Which admittedly isn't likely anyway - I have the signal strength turned down.)

And yes, they could theoretically crack it. But most people aren't going to bother. It also prevents them from doing so without realizing it, with a gadget that just goes 'hey, open access point' and uses it automagically.

Sure, WEP and filtering are pretty easy to bypass. But they're better than nothing, and if you're using old stuff like a Newton or a Nintendo DS on your wifi, it's all you can use, unless you want to fiddle with changing your settings all the time.