[NTLK] Newton Repair Question

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Tue May 1 18:58:13 EDT 2012

As you've probably found out by now, C150 is a 100uf (that's microFarad) 10V
capcitor that can be easily replaced. Chances are good, though, that this
capacitor exploded because something else died first. If it was my Newton,
I'd replace the capacitor and see what happens.

But repairing a Newton mainboard isn't really that smart these days since
Stefan, who recently bought J&K's whole stock of Newton parts, is currently
selling Newton 2x00 mainboards for a very reasonable price.

If I were you, I wouldn't use your power adapter for the time being. From
what you describe, I'm inclined to think you didn't do anything stupid. The
original Newton power adapter is able to handle 220V 60Hz just fine. But you
said you were using an OEM adapter. What exactly is an OEM adapter? I know
what OEM means, but I've never heard of Apple working with OEMs as far as
their 9W power adapters are concerned. Could you send a picture?

Cheers, and good luck

Frank