[NTLK] MP2100 error message -- internal memory full??

Simon Bell simonbell at me.com
Fri May 11 15:26:17 EDT 2012

> When I try to do something with Newt I get an error message telling me that
> either my internal memory or mydata storage card is almost full.

So it’s a storage (= disk) problem, not to do with the heap (= RAM). Let’s park that out of the way.

> Memory Info reports
> Internal    used: 3374K    free:   149K

Those numbers looks right; the internal capacity of a MP2100 is 3,523K. Nothing has disappeared into a black hole. I’m wondering though -- and this may be a good time to sit down if you aren’t already -- whether bad flash blocks that are mapped out of the available space count as ‘used’ (rather than reducing the store’s capacity). I don’t have experience (fortunately) of the characteristics of store failure, someone with hardware knowledge would better help here. Sorry to drop this bombshell, but it might cause an unexpected sudden loss of available space, no?

I can’t think of a tool that would itemise what’s using that ‘used’ space; does one exist?

> This is the question I've meant to ask for years.  I see identically named
> storage for Dates, Names, etc., in Internal and Card memory.  If I move the
> one in Internal memory onto the card, will it overwrite (i.e., delete) the
> one already on the Card, or will it combine the records of the two into one
> new storage?

If you File items in Storage onto a different store, you are operating on the soup entries on the store, not the store as a whole. The entries are moved: they are copied from the source store to the target and then deleted from the source. Entries in the target store remain intact; the ones you file (move) are added to them.

Freeing space on the internal store by moving entries to your card seems to me to be the only way forward for now. When in due course you have safely backed up I would reformat the store, restore data to it and we can re-examine the situation then.

Good luck with this; and with the situation you find yourself in.

Simon