[NTLK] Off Topic: Macintosh SE/30 - to buy or not to buy?

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 12:31:13 EST 2012

Hello,

--- On Mon, 11/5/12, Yeoleman74 at aol.com <Yeoleman74 at aol.com> wrote:

> HI: Your posting about ram Battery leaks prmpted me to dig out my >collection of Compact Macs to check on the Batteries. Only the Mac Plus
> had the Pram Battery Door on the back.

Yes, you're right.  In my post I mistakenly conflated the Plus' logic board with that of the SE; mea culpa.  The PRAM battery for the SE and SE/30 are both located on the logic board.

>Opening the SE, SE30.

Does this photo help:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/damianward/3862295969/in/photostream/

(Damian Ward's photostream, not mine)

...it shows the location of the PRAM battery on the SE/30's logic board; the SE and SE/30 logic boards have the same form factor, so the picture should work for both.  Please shoot me a mail and let me know when you locate the PRAM battery.

> and CLASIC I wa unable to find a Pram Battery.

The logic board form factor for the Classic is the same for the Classic II as well.  Can you please take a look at this teardown:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/by98pup

...and tell me if if works for you?  The PRAM battery is a standout red and is featured in pictures #12, #15, and #20 under the "Macintosh Classic II disassembly" header near the top of the page (scroll down a bit).

I'm afraid they're not very good pictures, and I'll see if I can find some better ones as time permits, but take a look at those in the meantime; they might be enough.

>On the Color Classic there is a Battery holder for the1/2AA Pram
> Battery. The holder does not appear to indicate which end of the battery >is +/-

The Color Classic has a different logic board form factor than any of the other machines.  I will have to take a look around and see if I can find a good picture of the CC logic board (anyone?).

Best,

James Fraser