[NTLK] Roll call November 2012

Gene Beaird bgbeaird at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 21 09:42:10 EST 2012

Mostly a lurker, but I've been on this list for years.  We still have our Newts, OMP, 130 and a pair of 2100's.  The 2100's were recently semi-retired from regular use, but I try to keep them charged, just because.  We used to use them to take notes at the race track (solo II or autocross competition) every month.  Last year we purchased an iPad which has taken over most of that duty now.  It's not a complete replacement, as there are aspects of the Newton I dearly miss, like Newt's Battery to give me ambient temps, and the ability to easily view the screen in full sunlight.  Since I haven't kept up with it on the Newton, the iPad does enable me to email my notes (and the iCloud should allow direct synching of the notes to the cloud for better review by all our devices).

The only issue I'm having now with the Newtons is the battery backs holding their charge.  It's getting to be about 3-4 days between swapping the charging cable between the two units, and then I usually have to take care of all the 'the system restarted because power was removed' screens when I plug it in.  I _really_ need to get the batteries replaced in the battery packs!

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas