[NTLK] Newt about to pop!?

Vladislav Korotnev vladkorotnev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 13:03:50 EDT 2013

Hello everyone on the list and first of all, congratulations on 20 years of Newtons!

So, yesterday I came back home from a small summer trip, found out that my 2100 is discharged (to a point where it shows "All power was removed" not "Battery was dead" on power up), connected it to the same surge protector I use for my desktop and went to another room, leaving it on charger.

A couple of hours later, while enjoying some fine J-Core tunes, I noticed some weird clicking and popping sounds from somewhere in the flat.
After turning down the music and walking around for a little bit, it was clear to me that my messagepad is making these sounds.
I took it from the table and heard another pop, moreover, I actually did also feel it a bit with my fingers, it seemed like it was coming from the battery tray.
I immediately unplugged it and removed the battery. The battery was slightly hot (not burning, but like usually when it's charging).
After letting it cool down I put it back in and it worked, showing 100%.
Is this a sign of a dying battery or charger?
I'm using a recelled battery pack, not AAs.
I also had some problems where my newt wouldn't recharge from some of the outlets/surge protectors I have (the indicator shows 'Charging' and then 'Charged' while the level remains on about 10%) but I thought this is a problem of my power sources, not the Newt.

~ Vladislav Korotnev
http://vladkorotnev.github.io/
http://vladkorotnev.me
sysop at dakimaker.com