[NTLK] An emulated Newton is a mighty fine thing

Frank Lowney frank.lowney at gcsu.edu
Thu Aug 8 18:56:07 EDT 2013

On Aug 7, 2013, at 7:26 PM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:

> OK, NewtonOS is very picky (-48807) about the order in which you install. I installed the following packages in the order given with success. I did reboot after inetstup.pkg and enetsup.pkg and NE2K.pkg. NE2K.pkg *MUST* be the pkg from the Einstein download site. There are unfortunatley other packeges with the same name.
>
> 128 -rw-r--r--@  1 matt  matt   60184 20 Jun  2010 01.Patch.pkg
> 624 -rw-r--r--   1 matt  matt  318276 22 Aug  2005 02.inetenbl.pkg
> 376 -rw-r--r--   1 matt  matt  192156 22 Aug  2005 03.inetstup.pkg
> 176 -rw-r--r--   1 matt  matt   86316 22 Aug  2005 04.newtdev.pkg
> 152 -rw-r--r--   1 matt  matt   74888 22 Aug  2005 05.enetsup.pkg
> 24 -rw-r--r--@  1 matt  matt    4768  8 Jun  2010 06.NE2K.pkg
> 64 -rw-r--r--@  1 matt  matt   27752 19 Aug  2006 11.NTox.pkg
> 112 -rw-r--r--@  1 matt  matt   56204 30 Mär  2007 12.ZLib.pkg
> 72 -rw-r--r--@  1 matt  matt   31940 20 Okt  2007 13.NHttpLib.pkg
> 128 -rw-r--r--@  1 matt  matt   60528 13 Nov  2006 14.Courier.pkg
> 176 -rw-r--r--@  1 matt  matt   84176  6 Nov  2008 21.ICVC.pkg
> 144 -rw-r--r--@  1 matt  matt   72432 10 Nov  2008 31.Dock_TCP-1.3-en.pkg
>
> The second part was correct: you need to do a manual network setup and use the ip's of the host machine. This is annoying if the ip of the host changes thanks to the router and will be fixed (as soon as I have the DHCP emulation down).
>
> Don;t expect any speed records. Don;t expect to load sites like Google. The NetwonOS browsers can not deal with these newfangled sites. Try to find a site that outputs two or three lines of text, no graphics, nothing, just pure old 1.0 HTML and work your way up from there.
>
> - Matthias

Thanks. I am now able to view very simple web sites (no javascript, CSS, etc.) with NetHopper.  I've read that Newts Cape is better supported so will try that next.

I am not sure about the order in which I installed these pieces so is there a way to uninstall packages? Or should I just go back to square one.

Dr. Frank Lowney  Georgia College & State University
    Projects Coordinator, Digital Innovation Group @ Georgia College
   Chappell Hall 212 (CBX 106)
    Web Site, Blog, GCSU Email, iCloud Email
    My latest book: The Coming ePublishing Revolution in Higher Education
Voice: (478) 445-1344
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate most effectively via e-mail.  Follow-up summaries of telephone conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction more accessible.