[NTLK] HWR and the Newton mentioned in a Tablet PC review

Lloyd Conway doc_retro at juno.com
Mon Feb 4 20:02:49 EST 2013

Hello, Newtonians:
     Just a FYI - I was reading a review of the Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 (having just bought one) and in discussing the stylus input feature, the author compares its' HWR capabilities to the MessagePad, stating that it works well:

"Handwriting recognition
There was a time when handwriting recognition was considered the centerpiece of pen and tablet computing. It was emphasized how everyone knows how to use pen and paper whereas far fewer are proficient with a keyboard. Alas, back then (in the early and mid 1990s) handwriting recognition didn't work nearly well enough to reliably recognize the vast variety of writing styles and so, after an initial period of enthusiasm, was widely dismissed.
Well, Microsoft has quietly improved recognition over the years, and the Input Panel and recognition engine included in Windows 7 works amazingly well. You can now even do something which the old Apple Newton MessagePad introduced, and that is scratching out a word, the way we all do when we write on paper. So those who try handwriting reco will be in for a pleasant surprise. "

http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/3_notebooks_fujitsu_t4410_full.html

   I pass this on in case it is of interest to any of you.
Regards,
-Lloyd Conway
 Charlotte, Michigan