[NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Re: Oil in Newton

Ed Kummel tech_ed at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 02:20:52 EST 2013

Fiat was well known in the USA for producing vehicles that rusted in the weirdest places...Whether it was the illfated Lancia, or the sporty x1/9 or the myriad nondescript coupes, you could pretty much be assured that any Fiat you purchased in the 70's would fall apart from rust before the warranty ran out! Heck, more than likely before you even paid it off! Because of this horrible reliability issue (I had a friend with a coupe who had a 2X4 piece of wood on the passenger floor that you had to put your feet on because there was no floor anymore. Eventually, on a particularly bumpy road, the entire undercarriage *FELL* to the ground and the body/chassis rolled over the engine, transmission and the seats including my friend who was sitting in the seat now sitting in the road. suffered minor injuries) Fiat left the USA and only last year has attempted to re-enter with this little flea of a beast they are attempting to pawn off as a Fiat 500. This is not a
 car I would ever attempt to drive on any American roads other than in town, back and forth to the grocery store. But people take them on the highway...scary though it is.

My first car was the family Oldsmobile that my father gave to me on graduation of Highschool. This was a 1972 Cutlass Supreme with a 350 cui engine (for those imperially challanged, this is a 5.6 liter engine). It was rated at a whopping 190HP! Of couse, some simple engine mods changed that considerably. I eventually swapped out that tiny little 350 for something with real meat. The massive 455cui engine! (7.7 liters) I bored this out to 496 cui (over 8 liters) and on a dyno, managed to get 590 horse power with over 670 foot-pounds of torque. Busted a driveshaft on that beast. A launch from a standing start could lift the front wheels of that 3,650 pound car off the ground by several inches. I later transferred the engine and transmission into a 1972 Cutlass convertible when some half-wit changed lanes right into my Cutlass.
I still have the convertible...somewhere...it's been at a machine shop for a few years now getting restored as money allows. I'm currently into Cherokee jeeps...have three of them now. I still drive a convertible though. Tool around in a 1997 Chrysler Sebring.

Ed
web/gadget guru

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public’s own money."
               -1835, French political thinker and writer, Alexis de Tocqueville