[NTLK] Newton Connection Apps

Eckhart Köppen lists at 40hz.org
Fri Jul 26 14:49:50 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Simon Bell <simonbell at me.com> wrote:

> It has been rather quiet here on NewtonTalk lately, so I hope there is somebody about to answer my query.
>
> I am trying to put together a definitive list of Newton connection apps, specifically charting which app targets which Newton OS / protocol version.

Maybe not the most user-friendly, and I'm not sure if it counts as an
app, but I implemented the dock protocol with a simple command line
tool as an example client in Ruby:

https://github.com/ekoeppen/RDCL

This can be extended with own plugins, right now it allows interacting
with In/Out, downloading soups as a whole, and conversion of soup
entries to text if possible.

Since I got a bit frustrated with Ruby (murky situation with one click
installers, Ruby 1.9 still not the default, slow), I'm currently
repeating the exercise using Go. The idea will be the same, i.e.
mostly a library, a simple command line client, and options to provide
own plugins.

Eckhart