[NTLK] [OT] Poutine in Redondo Beach, CA

Andrew Beals andrew.beals at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 13:20:33 EDT 2013

Yes, the curds are supposed to be squeaky - and typically the fresh squeaky
ones are only available in the spring (from what I've heard).  Despite what
the near-constant advertising tries to convince you, California cheeses
bite the big one.

As for Canadian Cuisine - did they serve (split) pea soup?  (Given that
you're down there, you can always hop the 101 and go north until you reach *
Pea* *Soup* Andersen's Inn 51 E. Hwy 246. Buellton, Ca. 93427 tel. (800)
Pea-Soup. OM NOM NOM)  Did they have tourtiere on the menu?  You're not
going to find Smoked Meat outside of Montreal, so I won't even ask about
that.  (Although I managed to make a fairly good substitute in my smoker
last year…)

Should you ever find yourself within an hour's drive of Quebec City, you
simply must go here: http://www.auxancienscanadiens.qc.ca/  Lots of great
Canadian food there!  Only a little pricey.  Driving an hour there (and
back) just for a meal would violate the Beals Rule ("Never spend more time
traveling than you do on the activity."), but given the uniqueness of the
food there, it's worth it.  (I expect NewtonTalk's secret cabal of
Quebecois (Cabale secrète du Québec des Québécois) to chime in and tell me
how wrong I am.  (Oh, and if you're ever in Orford/Magaog, try the apple
pie.)