[NTLK] Alarms

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 14:10:21 EDT 2013

~~~ On 2013/06/20 18:17, Morgan Aldridge at morgant at makkintosshu.com wrote
~~~

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Andrei Chichak <newton at chichak.ca> wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-June-20, at 10:38 AM, Chris Chapman <chrisc30 at me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have to take a blood pressure pill nightly. What is the best way to set an
>>> alarm on my Newton to remind me every night? I'd prefer for it not to
>>> clutter up my calendar if possible.
>>
>> As a guy that makes medical devices for a living, are you reaaaaaaaly sure
>> that you want to use your Newton?
>>
>> Do you have any other beast with better battery life that you carry around
>> all of the time? Like an iPod or a phone?
>>
>> As much as I like our green friend, I'd rather not have you bite the big
>> green weenie because your newt died and you popped your fuse.
>
> I don't know about you, but my green friend's battery life beats the
> iPhone by a couple weeks. Granted, most people don't carry their
> Newton everywhere and I'm not sure if Chris does.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have a good suggestion for reminders that
> wouldn't clutter up your calendar, not to mention the fact that I find
> Date's reminders to be abysmal. I use Adam Tow's AlarmClock
> <http://www.tow.com/software/newton/> for my morning wakeup, but it'd
> be too easy to forget to reset it.
>
> --
> Morgan

I take some pills first thing every morning at a certain time, and I've used
Newt to do this since I got her.  Andrei, since we're talking about what you
do professionally I don't want to dismiss your insight.  But FWIW here's my
2 cents:

1. I'm with Morgan, Newt's battery life is WA-A-A-A-A-A-AY better than any
other device I own except my watch.

2. Newt is always with me unlike anything else I own including my iPod,
MacBook, or watch.

3. My system is simple.  I created ONE "meeting" in Dates when I started
doing this.  It's set for the time I have to take my medicine and reads
"<MEDS>".  It uses a special tone that I only assign to this "meeting".  As
soon as it goes off I take the meds and cancel the alarm window, and here's
the important bit.  I use the month summary at the top to open that day and
the following one so I can drag that meeting straight over to the following
day.  Voila!  The next day's reminder is set.

The advantages of this system for me are:  I don't have to create a
repeating alarm to perpetuity; so far (the last almost 8 years) I haven't
let this medication slip to the back of my mind as something I take for
granted or overlook or "will get to after I do this other thing"; the act of
moving the "meeting" to the following day keeps it fresh and purposeful; and
I also use this to remind me to check that I don't need a refill.

It works for me but as always, YMMV.

Shalom,

Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke