[NTLK] query plus Re: Einstein: HWR to text to Mac?

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Wed Mar 6 12:27:13 EST 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:

> On 06.03.2013, at 00:30, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:

>>> LOL! Great idea, but no.
>>>
>>> It is possible to back up and restore using NCX over ethernet. But at the moment, it is extremely tedious. I promise I will get back to it as soon as I can.
>>
>> I don't remember the feasibility, but I'd love to see a linear flash
>> card emulation that just stores in a flat file. That way we'd be able
>> to `dd` a linear flash card & "insert" it in Einstein.
>
> Well, the 'flash' file that the emulator creates is just that. What's missing is the software on the Newton side. I have asked Paul for the ROM dumper source code, which could be easily adapted to make it into a Flash/RAM dumper. If there is anyone out there capable of compiling code on MacOS, I can give pretty precise instructions on what to do.

I guess I wasn't really thinking about dumping flash with a tool, but
popping the linear flash PCMCIA card into a reader and just using `dd`
directly, then just having some way of mounting a flash "card" file in
Einstein. That said, the idea of having a utility to dump the internal
flash as well as the ROM is definitely favorable and would certainly
make setting up full clones of our Newtons in Einstein very easy.

By "capable of compiling code on MacOS", do you mean compiling NTK
code on the Mac to produce a Newton .PKG? If so, I do, as long as it
doesn't require MPW for C/C++ (unfortunately, Apple pulled the free
downloads a couple years ago and I haven't found another source for
them yet).

> BTW: I moved. Today is the first day in a month with a complete internet connection again. Phew!

Nice!

Morgan
---
http://makkintosshu.com/