[NTLK] Compiling a big Newton package

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Thu Mar 28 06:21:56 EDT 2013

On 27.03.2013, at 16:00, Vladislav Korotnev <vladkorotnev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the flood but more news: it's hanging right when I add the second PICT RSRC.
> If I do just one (100 frames of PICT), it makes a 8,4MB pkg out of a 476K RSRC with PICT + 4MB sound RSRC.
> Heck, is that even possible?

NTK, IIRC, decompresses whatever picture resource you have and stores it in the native Newton format. For a 320x200 image in 16 grays, that would be 320x200x4/8 = 32k per image. The sound is also stored in a similarly uncompressed way. So I assume that your 4MB sound is "decompressed" int 8MB of 16bit sound, and the remaining memory is you image and your program.

You are expecting quite a lot from this little machine ;-)