[NTLK] Bullet Journal

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri Sep 27 08:13:00 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:45 AM, Steven Frank <stevenf at panic.com> wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2013, at 7:07 PM, Dan <dan at dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/26/2013 4:49 PM, Steven Frank wrote:
>>> Just throwing this link out because I'm willing to bet there's an overlap between Newton fans and people who like reading about organization methodologies:
>>>
>>>    http://www.bulletjournal.com/
>>>
>>> This is one guy's approach to laying out a notebook (any paper notebook) to track calendar events, note items, and to-do items, that seems well organized without being needlessly fussy.

Nice. I hadn't seen this one and I like the concept a lot.

>>> It would be cool (for certain definitions of cool) to do this on a Newton.  It seems like something particularly well-suited for a Newton stationery.  Even the built-in checklist stationery would get you pretty far.

Agreed. It'd be relatively straightforward to implement a new
stationary that offered nested checklists with the additional symbols.

>>> Can't shake the feeling though that it would still be quicker to flip through the pages of a paper notebook than the rather laggy scrolling of Notes.
>>
>> I never had a problem with speed on my 2100.  It could keep up as fast
>> as i could type.  The only slowness came from when it tried to read my
>> handwriting.  But even then it did a better job of it then I did
>> sometimes.  Usually though, I just typed it, it was simpler and faster.
>> And being that my handwriting is so bad, I can't trust it to a standard
>> paper setting.
>
> I should've been more specific: I was referring to the speed of paging through Notes when going back through for review, not while writing.
>
> Flipping pages in a paper notebook doesn't have that fraction of a second hesitation that arrowing through Notes has. Especially when you're not looking for anything in particular, just going over what you've put down previously.
>
> On the other hand, digital methods have search, which makes it faster than paper when you DO know exactly what you're looking for.
>
> Wish there was an approach that was the best of both worlds, but I haven't found it yet. As you said, the software for iOS, Android, etc, just doesn't live up to the future the Newton promised.

I agree on the scrolling front, when switching to/from during review
process. As you mention, search helps, but copy/paste also helps
significantly as you don't need to keep switching back & forth when
transcribing info from one page to another (like to-do items). I think
that multiple clipboards (which is easy on the Newton) would be
especially helpful here.

I personally still follow the GTD methodologies using NewtToDo. It has
been the best implementation I've come up with so far and have been
improving its use for a few years now, but switching between
folders/contexts is still the slowest part. That said, since it's
mainly in list/overview mode, I can see a lot of data on a single
screen which limits with which I must scroll or switch folders.

Briefly, I keep the following folders for my projects, someday/maybe,
waiting for, and "elevations" lists (currently only the "areas of
responsibility" level), plus each of my contexts:

    PROJECTS
    RESPONSIBILITIES
    -someday
    -waiting
    @computer
    @errands
    @home
    @internet
    @newton
    @phone
    @work

Having each of these makes it easy for me to switch between contexts
and try to stay in them as long as possible when working. Since
NewtToDo supports notes & checklists within each to-do item, I'm able
to add specifics to my projects (generally the only place I use them),
incl. preparing likely action items in advance.

Since the Newton's folder structure inherently supports "All Items", I
can actually switch to all items and sort by context to have
everything in one list for reviews (I'm trying to do this more
frequently, but I haven't decided if it's more efficient or not). I
only show "Folders" & "Dividers" (both of which are hidden unless I'm
viewing "All Items"; so no priorities or due dates and completed tasks
are hidden) and sort by "Due Date, Priority". This makes for a list
that only has a checkbox, the project/action item text, and a small
indicator whether there notes/checklists (and the folder name, if I'm
in "All Items".

I then just keep my regular calendar in Dates and add projects and action items.

I agree that the size of the Newton can be a bit much, but I'm
generally only at home or at the office, and always with a full laptop
bag, so it's not a big deal at this point. Actually, I feel the screen
size is absolutely perfect, it's just the thickness that's awkward.
I've thought about Einstein on an iPad mini, but I want to wait until
we've leapt some of the small data transfer & backup hurdles with
Einstein first (not to mention saving up for the iPad mini & developer
account).

>> Like I said, I just haven't found a good replacment apps.  I am starting
>> to think Einstein is the way to go.  I need to get the Android version
>> and give that a spin.  Anyone know if the import/export of data issue
>> was ever fixed?  Last I knew it was hard to get data in and out of Einstein.

I don't believe this issue has been addressed yet as the primary use
of Einstein so far has been for experimentation & development.

> Hmm, it's been a while since we had the last "who's still using their Newton daily and in what ways" thread. Could be fun (?)

I'm in. Clearly, I still use my MessagePad 2100 frequently for
calendar & GTD lists. I also use it for bill management (BillsToPay) &
finances (PocketMoney), plus notes and the occasional book/game. Not
much else at the moment.

--
Morgan
---