[NTLK] Newton Messaging Enabler v1.2?

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri Dec 12 17:14:39 EST 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Matej Horvat
<matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 22:50:20 +0100, Morgan Aldridge
> <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
>
>> I happened across
>>
>> <http://web.archive.org/web/19980204051938/http://www.newton-inc.com/dev/sysenablrs.html>
>> noting that there was a Newton Messaging Enabler v1.2 that supported
>> not only the Newton Messaging Card, but also the Socket Pagecard &
>> Motorola Tango. Sadly, UNNA.org only seems to have v1.0:
>>
>> <http://www.unna.org/view.php?/drivers/other/NewtonMessagingCard/>
>>
>> Unfortunately, Internet Archive doesn't have an archive of the
>> NME12.sit.hqx, NME12.EXE, MsgEnblr.pkg, or Messaging Enabler.pdf
>> files. A google search didn't find any leads either. :(
>>
>> Obviously, these old messaging cards are no longer functional these
>> days, but the programming interface is interesting to me to see if
>> it's something we can build on to support newer devices.
>>
>> Anyone have any more details or happen to have any of these files
>> hidden away somewhere?
>
> I'm not sure which version it is, but the file NewtonMessagingEnabler1.0.zip
> in the directory you linked to contains MsgEnblr.pkg, Messaging Enabler.pdf,
> MM_Socket.pkg, and MM_Tango.pkg, as well as MM_MsgCd.pkg and some example
> code.

Well, look at that! You're right, the developer docs and such are all
there. I'd assume this is version 1.0, not 1.2, but I wasn't able to
get Package Inspector running to check the actual version. I might try
installing it on my Newton to see which it says it is.

I'll definitely have to read through the docs and see whether this is
something worth still building on top of anymore.

That said, in the meantime, if anyone happens across the NME12 files,
let me know.

Thanks,

--
Morgan