[NTLK] OT: Vroom vroom

Andrei Chichak newton at chichak.ca
Thu Jan 16 17:31:47 EST 2014

On 2014-January-16, at 3:10 PM, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:

> Yup, control arms are likely cause of my tire wear issues

If you have access to a lift, remove 3 bolts and they fall out, both sides can be done in about 45 minutes, but the good arms (lemforder) are about $100/side, and no need to redo the alignment (unless your steering arms are shot too ($35/side + and alignment ($100))).

> and the
> blower resistor died long ago (hey, at least it gracefully degrades to
> still having full and off).

Easy peasy, you can get a replacement thermo fuse at Radio Shack (The Source in Canada) for $1.50. 4 screws, 3 bolts, a little Frank work and you're back in action.

> The ABS modules go too, fortunately
> there's a Newton-like community and a Frank-like guy who re-solders
> the loose joints.

4 screws and one plug. 5 minutes to swap. You can go to a bone yard and pick up a spare for cheep. There are two versions, one with TRACS, and one without.

> I'll certainly be avoiding the bent valves.

How I spent my summer holiday 2012… luckily my brother owns a well respected VW repair shop and he let me use his tools, brains, and one of his bays for 6 days. And jobber prices are awesome.

BTW, when you ask a repair shop to replace your cam belt, make sure that it makes it onto the work order and that they actually do it. It's great that my guys didn't charge me for work that they didn't do. I'll take care of it myself from now on.

Andrei