[NTLK] Supply rom image?

Newton Support newtonsupport at pda-soft.de
Mon Jun 23 16:15:23 EDT 2014

> What do you think about providing the ROM image to those who can submit a
picture of a real newton?

Personally, I think this is a very bad idea. I guess Google pictures would
provide us with about ten thousand of those within half a second.

The official claim of Einstein's developers is that people must have a real
hardware they can suck the ROM image from. Even that is - in my humble and
unimportant opinion - doubtful from a legal point of view. But if we were to
tear down the one and only obstacle between possible distribution of Apple's
intellectual property and obvious distribution of said property, we might
jeopardize the nighttime's peace of the remaining Einstein developers, one
of which is yours truly.

I personally believe Apple couldn't care less, and I also believe that what
we are doing might not even be illegal in Germany. But I'd rather not risk
getting on Apple's lawyers' hit list...

I'm of course aware that nowadays it can't be prevented that somebody puts a
file up for download that many others want. However, I'd prefer not to know
about it, and I doubt the remaining Einstein developers will ever encourage
this.

If I may make a suggestion, I'd suggest you remove this file asap from the
location you posted. If people ask you for it, it is your decision how to
handle this request. The Einstein developers (I think I'm speaking for
Matthias here, too) will never encourage the ROM image's free distribution
unless Apple officially allows it, which is more than doubtful since parts
of what's in this ROM is still used in today's Macs.

Regards

Frank