[NTLK] Backing up to ATA CF

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Wed Nov 5 07:47:39 EST 2014

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014, Woody Smith <woodysmith at me.com> wrote:

> > On Nov 4, 2014, at 10:00 PM, Stephen Hankins <ghankins at mac.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > I have installed Paul Guyot's ATA Support and have successfully
> partitioned a 32MB Canon Compact Flash Card, using a Transcend CF Adaptor.
> >
> > The CF card functions as a normal store (i.e., I can file things on it).
> But it does not trigger the usual message from the Newton OS asking if I
> want to back up onto it. Should I expect that? Or should I expect to have
> to use something like SBM utilities to create backups?
>

> IIRC you need to use SBM utilities to backup to ATA card.
> Since the ATA drivers would be lost with a brain wipe you would lose your
> ability to read the card until the ATA package is reinstalled.
> If you have a second newton device you can beam the package if necessary.

It's probably still in the ATA drivers README or something, but it used to
be noted in Paul Guyot's site that the ATA drivers don't support
backup/restore. He sort of left that as an exercise for whomever might pick
up the project after him, but nobody has.

I use SMB Utilities as part of my all-too-infrequent backup process, but
have never tried it with my CF card I use with the ATA drivers. That is the
most likely way to get it to work, but I'd suggest not having any important
data on your CF card before attempting it. If you do, let us know how it
goes. I'll have to give it a shot at some point as well.

--
Morgan
---