[NTLK] Einstein on Android troubles

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 30 05:23:24 EDT 2014

Matthias (et al):

Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to get everything fixed (Einstein is now up and running!) a couple of days ago, but this is the first I've had the time to respond.

I'm actually glad that I got your email after I got it figured out...respectfully, your statement about "start(ing) from scratch. There are no other settings hidden anywhere" was inaccurate.

It turns out, I was able to REALLY "start from scratch" by unchecking a box I found in the Settings app, under the "Backup & reset" menu, for Automatic Restore: "When reinstalling an app, restore backed up settings and data." What was happening, apparently, was that every time I was unin- and re-installing Einstein, whatever the initial problem was--corrupted data, bad settings, etc.--kept being reinstalled, which is why things seemed to just get worse and worse.

Once I deleted all traces of Einstein, unchecked that box and reinstalled it, everything went very smoothly. I got the menu screen that I didn't have before, asking me if I wanted to install the (downloaded) package: then Einstein transferred it, then installed it.

Matthias, you and all the others who have contributed on this project deserve much credit. Thank you!

Thanks,
--Forrest

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place."
--Douglas Adams