[NTLK] Wireless or Ethernet Networking

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Tue Sep 30 10:04:00 EDT 2014

Did someone mention wireless email and my name? Yep... Still emailing with my Newton after all these years. Crazy.

I too, will always recommend MyAppleNewton.blogspot.com ... Tony Kan (@GENGHIS7777) does a fabulous job of curating a lot of useful Newton information on his website. Here is a search with the keyword "wireless":
  <http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/search?q=wireless>

Most of my wireless tutorials are mentioned there. The tutorials I've created are a bit more specific and detailed … but they can be very good "AH-HA!" documents.

 <http://newted.org/raparker/newton/HOWTO-WirelessAppleTalk.pdf>
 <http://newted.org/raparker/newton/HOWTO-TwoLeggedNAT.pdf>

EMail? I use Mail V and part of GoFetch. Mail V is the (only) current / useful (working) mail transport available. It uses IMAP (or POP3) and SMTP. Installing GoFetch Extras adds a few nifty features to the Mail V app.

Mail V has moved, but can still be found here:

 <http://newtonresearch.org/mailv/index.html>

GoFetch is available in UNNA:

 <http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet/email/GoFetch1.27>

Mentioned already was Earthlink as an ISP. There is also GMX.com specifically as an email provider. They also allowed non-SSL connections to their mail servers. A few of us signed up years back and tested it successfully, then.

Forrest brought up "Rules" for Mail V. These will be very important once everything is set up. Your first connection to an email server can overwhelm your Newton by the sheer number of "New" messages it will have read through, in the Inbox.

[Ignore If Size > 30K] and [Ignore If Older Than 3 Days] helps speed-up the process of getting to the newest messages in your Mailbox. Especially the first time. After that, Mail V remembers where you are in the mailbox and subsequent downloads of new emails are much faster.

One more thing... If you are serious about email on your Newton, get yourself an inexpensive MiFi device.

 <http://newtzilla.quadzilla.net/html/-447584087$93.nsd>

Nothing says uber-Newton-user like MiFi in your pocket.

Keep it green.

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM