[NTLK] [OT] Reel to reel

Andrei Chichak newton at chichak.ca
Thu Jun 4 12:44:36 EDT 2015

Oh, man, when I was a teenager back in the 70s, I wanted a 10” reel to reel so badly. My father had a 7” Korting deck from West Germany.

We used BASF tape, because it was available.

We also got a bunch of tapes from the CBC, but they were so old that you got about 1 play if you were careful. After that, the shock of rewinding, stopping, and fast forwarding, would snap the tape. It was really brittle after the tape lost its plasticizers.

A couple of weeks ago I ran across a series of videos on the youtube that gave a well crafted explanation of the features that these beasts had to help you do multitrack recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqF2cGWafOA

Thanks for the memories,
Andrei from The Great White North

Andrei Chichak

'62 Morris Mini Traveller w/ 1275 'S engine
’97 Volvo 855 400,000 km
’08 VW Golf 242,000 km

Finnish: Terho Virtanen
Elvish: Tuor Vardamir