[NTLK] ROM Disassembly online?

Steven Frank stevenf at panic.com
Fri May 29 14:05:58 EDT 2015

> On May 29, 2015, at 3:38 AM, Jake Bordens <jake at allaboutjake.com> wrote:
>
> I know Steven is trying to solve more immediate problems here, so this is just pie-in-the-sky type stuff.  But it might be possible to someday have a ROM viewer that interprets most of the ROM into more readable format.

That would absolutely be cool.  You're right that, for now, I just want to contribute whatever I can to the goal of chopping out MMU emulation and moving more code to native.

This morning I added a column for the disassembly (so when flagging word types in a future editable version of ROM Explorer, it would be more obvious if you're looking at actual ARM code or some other binary blob):

http://stevenf.com/gfx/rom-explorer2.png <http://stevenf.com/gfx/rom-explorer2.png>

I also collapsed the two symbol columns into a single column that displays the C++ symbol if there is one, or the plain symbol if it's not C++.

GitHub is up to date with these changes.

Another thing that would be nice would be a way to follow a branch or load/store instruction to the address it references by just double-clicking or something.  I'll have to think about how that might work.  I'm trying to do this in a way that has as little impact on Albert's source as possible.

But what I still really need is someone to tell me what is the most important thing I ought to be doing right now to move Matthias toward the goal of completing his static analysis of the entire ROM!  Apparently my instincts are telling me it's tooling.  :)  I am quite confident in my ability to accept any text format as input, do stuff to it, and output any other text format, so just tell me what you need.

Steven