[NTLK] Newton mentioned in a ZDNet article

Doctor Clu drclu at swbell.net
Sat Feb 20 05:43:56 EST 2016

"Yes, the Apple Newton was an epic fail <http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/the-most-epically-bad-tech-product-launches-of-all-time/15/>, one of the company's rare missteps. However let's not remember it for how much money it cost Apple. Instead, let us remember it as a rare tech shooting star that shone brightly for as short -- very short -- time and as one of the very first tablet devices to use a handwriting feature. Granted it didn't work super well, but hey, props for being first, right?”

Uggg… why is everything that I like an “epic fail”?   Bubsy Bobcat, the Atari Jaguar, Pontiac Fieros, and Newton Messagepads apparently.   Oh yeh, because people are critics and follow what they read on the internet.  Granted sometimes it is right, but I really don’t think they try this stuff out for themselves.

Anyway, to give this a positive spin from the 2016 perspective I would say the Newton was a glimpse into the future.  A preview.  A iPad prototype that we got a decade early.

A $1,200 glimpse into the future.   Yep, that’s the ticket.

Doctor Clu