[NTLK] Does PCMCIA to compact flash work with a Newton?

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sun Jul 17 18:58:10 EDT 2016

On Sunday, July 17, 2016, NewtonTalk <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:

> >> Do any PCMCIA to compact flash adaptors work out of the box with a
> Newton
> 2100?
> >> If so, what is the maximum memory that a Newton can recognise?
>
> > You can use eny adapter, but you need instal ATA Support software before:
> > http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/ATA/
>
> Be aware that to the best of my knowledge ATA support was, due to the
> nonexistence of reliable technical documentation of the Newton hardware and
> the Newton OS, still a tad flaky when Paul stopped working on it. If I were
> you, I would make frequent backups to standard PC cards unless the data you
> intend to put on the ATA card isn't all that important.

It is pretty stable, I use it with a 32MB and 1GB CF cards, myself. It's
slower and uses more battery power, and the major functionality that is
missing is backup (I'm not sure if y can use SBM Utils to back them up, or
not). I only keep large, unimportant data on mine, like books, music, and
such which I have copies of elsewhere.

--
Morgan
---