[NTLK] Another Apple Newton Research Survey

Mike mdsf001 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 03:31:14 EDT 2016

Thank you for the link to the survey.

Here's some of what I had to say in my responses.
Firstly, several of the features have found themselves into the iPad not
just iPod.

I still own (and occasionally operate) several Newton MessagePads. I
found the device to be far ahead of its time and went on to become an
Apple Solution Professional (that was a external consultant program
Apple had set up) as a Newton consultant and in order to evangelize
about the Newton.

At the time, Apple was in a very difficult financial situation and when
Steve Jobs returned to the company he had to make several difficult
decisions (some based on sound business reasons and some based on
personal reasons). The reason to cancel the Newton was one based on the
latter. He never liked the Newton (it being a pet project of John
Sculley, who ousted Jobs several years earlier).

There was no good reason to cancel the Newton since Gil Amelio, Apple's
CEO before the returning Steve Jobs, had already started the process to
spin off the Newton in to a separate, independent company. Starting
capital had been lined up and a team was being put in place. It looked
like a 'fait accompli'. Then Jobs stopped everything, reversed what had
been done and cancelled the Newton.

It was expensive but the things it was able to do still aren't done by
my latest iPad (for example speaking alarms where my Newton not only
alerted me with a sound that I had a meeting but it spoke the details of
the reminder (name, date, time, place, etc...).

Also, the handwriting recognition of the last model of the MessagePad
was practically flawless (98% recognition rate).

Unfortunately, the Newton was the right device at the wrong time in
Apple's history.