[NTLK] Einstein on Android

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Sun Feb 5 06:50:06 EST 2017

> On Jan 25, 2017, at 1:57 AM, Dan <dan at dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:
>
> Great news!  Actually all of the Einstein news lately is wonderful.  But
> one thing comes to mind, has anyone ever found a way to get data in or
> back out of Einstein?  Last I new there wasn't any import ability unless
> you got email working and emailed something to yourself and retrieved it
> with a desktop computer or such.
>
> Perhaps I am out of date, and if so I am happy to be wrong. :)
>
> -Dan

tl;dr : no, there is no good support yet. Efforts were made, but it is not a simple task.

No, you are not wrong. One of the reasons to write mosrun (a little app that makes the original Apple compiler pack run on OSX/Unix) was to recreate the Einstein REx (Rom Extension) and add code to interface the serial ports to Einstein.

I never managed to recreate the REx, but read in recent posts, that someone on this list was able to create a fresh REx package. If that is so, it should be easy to add the serial port support stubs.

If we have the stubs, we should be able to write a serial port emulator so we can connect to NCX http://newtonresearch.org/connection/ .

Connecting to NTK is much harder because it runs inside an emulator (Basilisk, usually) which has no serial port support in itself. Basilisk is OpenSource, and I tried to find the serial port stubs in the source code, but, um, not to complain, Basilisk source code is not easy to read... .

Matthias