[NTLK] Newton USB Dongle

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 14:12:40 EST 2017

On Feb 5, 2017, at 1:14 PM, Jeff Sheldon <jeffsheldon at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the community needs a USB solution, what would be the preference? Internal card with port, Interconnect to USB end, or RS422 to USB? Seems like the last--which people are talking about here--is the easiest and cheapest solution. All three are doable, though those JAE ports are hard to find.
>

> -Jeff

I agree. I think it depends on the user, the Newton they have, and how they want to use it. The OMP through 130 have a Mini-Din8 port, the 2000/2100 has the proprietary interconnect port, and the eMate has both. A universal option would be to find a USB to RS422 serial port adapter w/Mini-Din8 connector and then come up with a replacement for the interconnect port adapter, which is also hard to find for a reasonable price these days. Beyond that we could try and recreate PCBMan’s SER-001 board for the 2000/2100. PCB printing is probably easier than it was 15 years ago, hardest part is likely finding the internal serial port connector.

Tony Morrow