[NTLK] Armstice board (was: Unused Messagepad)

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Tue Feb 28 18:29:11 EST 2017

On 2017-02-28, at 2:07 PM, Steve White wrote:

> As Andrei mentioned, Egger (and later on Hammer) were used to drive these boards.

I've always though that Hammer was strictly a low-level debugger for Newton development which happened to run on a Macintosh. Would you describe Hammer (and Egger) differently?

Here's the current definition of Hammer in the Newton Glossary:

http://newtonglossary.com/terms/hammer

Obviously, I'd like to add a similar entry for Egger.

>> And, to this day, when one of my programs fail, I say it “clanks”. When your
>> program failed on the Armistice board, you wold get a clank sound.
>
> Andrei, I can add the clank sound for DebugStr dialogs if that’ll make you smile.

I guess I need to update the Clank entry to include something about "program execution failure" as well

http://newtonglossary.com/terms/clank

> There are photos of the “ARMageddon Fat Man Board”, which seems to utilize them to attach a daughter card to the ARMageddon.   I wish the CHM had higher quality images, but it can be seen here:
>
> http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102633651
>
> Perhaps Steve Capps remembers what the add-on was for, and will be able to talk about it later this week.

I'll also add an addendum to the ARMageddon entry to mention the "Fat Man" daughterboard.

http://newtonglossary.com/terms/armageddon

> Additionally there is the smaller “Universal Newton Adapter”, which was a conduit to external Newton hardware.  It doesn’t include an ARM or anything fun.  It is absolutely dependent on an external Newton device.

This is one card I wish I had in my collection.

However, it's another term to add to the glossary!

> A Bunwarmer:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/pablo_marx/350827545/

Both of my Bunn Warmer prototypes are sandwiched between sheets of plexiglas, without a cover like this one.

Here are images of my Bunn Warmer running Newton OS J-1b1.00

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0dijh9uagbo9set/AAByWhN4ckmwOIZLOevIDVaZa

Note that it's standalone hardware, without an obvious edge connector for tethering. However, it does have multiple ROM slots.

> ROMulators existed for other devices, but I don’t recall having ever seen pictures of any. I’ve definitely seen references to them though, e.g. "Q Romulator Detected”

I've never heard of the term "ROMulator" ... what great word!

 And another one for the glossary.

g.