[NTLK] Einstein on Ubuntu Linux: It's Alive!

Steven Frank stevenf at panic.com
Thu Jan 19 19:43:06 EST 2017

I'm pleased to report that the changes I recently implemented to get Einstein running on the Raspberry Pi were also useful for restoring the Linux build to a working state.

Einstein will now build and run on Ubuntu 16.04.1.  Here's the obligatory screenshot:

http://stevenf.com/gfx/einstein-ubuntu.png <http://stevenf.com/gfx/einstein-ubuntu.png>

Detailed and current Ubuntu bring-up-from-nothing instructions can be found on this page:

https://github.com/pguyot/Einstein/wiki/Build-Instructions <https://github.com/pguyot/Einstein/wiki/Build-Instructions>

(Previous Unix and cross-compile instructions have been moved to their own page "Legacy Build Instructions", as they are unmaintained and their status is unknown.)

The Ubuntu build has some issues.  I noticed, for example, that the typing on the keyboard sent the wrong keycodes to the Newton, so as you can see in the screenshot, I used the onscreen keyboard instead.  :)  But, it builds and runs, which is an improvement over the previous state of affairs. :)

I hope this allows more developers to jump on board in the future.  I'll do my best to occasionally give the Ubuntu build a try and make sure it continues to work.

Many thanks to GitHub user hfmanson, whose pull request was essential for getting the Linux build back on track and making the Raspberry Pi build possible.  And of course thanks to Paul Guyot for making the whole thing in the first place.  :)

Steven