[NTLK] Setup for programming environment - what and how?

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 05:22:47 EST 2017

Hi Morgan!

First of all: So much thank you for answer!!!

> On 19 Jan 2017, at 13:41, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
>
> I recently went through the process of setting up a Newton dev environment
> under OS X (well, and OS 7, but more about that shortly) and had intended
> to write up a blog post about it, but haven't gotten that far. Soon.

That could be great to have some 101 with details ;)

> Anyway, are you planning on doing just NewtonOS programming or do you want
> to program in other languages too (for example, fiddling with the Einstein
> source code itself)?

Because this is my first time with programming, I think only about NewtonOS (NewtonScript???).

> Either way, check out <http://newtonscript.org/> for links to all the
> various development tools, documentation, etc. NTK (Newton Toolkit) for Mac
> OS (System 7-Mac OS 9.x) is definitely the easiest Newton programming
> environment to learn, had the best support & documentation from Apple, and
> had the most users during its peak, so there is a lot of sample & open
> source code out there.
>
> If you want to do other development than just Newton, or you want better
> performance and Internet connectivity, I'd go with setting up BasiliskII <
> http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii> on OS X, running Mac OS
> 7.5.5, with NTK for Newton programming, plus Einstein running NewtonOS with
> ViewFrame. Install NTK from the NewtonDev image on UNNA.org <
> http://www.unna.org/view.php?/development/NewtonDev> (it was put together
> by a bunch of developers to apply all the updates and such). You can use
> BasiliskII's shared folders support to easily exchange files between MacOS
> and OS X. The only real downside is that you can't connect NTK to Einstein
> to run the Inspector or auto-install the package after compiling (though
> Einstein supports installing a package via drag & drop, so it's still easy).
>
> If you want to do only Newton development, already have a good way to
> transfer data to/from your PowerBook 1400, have a full set of Newton
> dongles & cables, and don't mind testing your software on your Newton
> (risking data loss), then install NTK on the PowerBook (again, using the
> NewtonDev image). Then you'll have everything running natively and as
> originally intended, with full ability to run the NTK Inspector connected
> to your Newton.
>
> I find the OS X & BasiliskII method to be easier to start with a fresh
> install and start over if you royally screw anything up (either on the Mac
> or a newton side). I wrote a utility a month or so ago called
> `basiliskiivm` <
> http://www.makkintosshu.com/discourse/basiliskiivm-a-vm-management-utility-for-basiliskii>
> which makes working with & sharing multiple VMs easy, so I could send you a
> pre-packaged VM with NTK already installed if you want to try it out
> (without the Mac ROM, of course).

WOW! That could be very helpful!!! Thank you! I’m using Dropbox, if it will be better for you -> scroller [here this magic sign] indigi [thedothere] pl

> Good luck and let us know how it goes, any questions you might have, and
> what works well for you or doesn’t.

Thank you again ;) I will definitely try this Basilisk stuff on Mac OS X but older method too, to get experience ;)

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski

NPDS Server: http://newton1.applenewton.co.uk:8079 (powered by Newton 2100)
NPDS Tracker Server: http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680 <http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680/> (powered by Raspberry Pi)