[NTLK] Android IrDA (was: Einstein on Android)

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Thu Jan 26 02:14:11 EST 2017

On 2017-01-25, at 9:39 PM, Tony Morrow wrote:

> My memory is fuzzy on this so please correct me: the other problem is out of the box the Newton doesn’t talk industry standard protocols over IrDA. Two Newtons can send and receive information between each other (although I think there are limitations between 1.0 & 2.0), but a Newton doesn’t know what to do when trying to talk with a PC, late 90’s PDA, or modern smartphone.

The MP2x00 and eMate use IrDA-compatiable infrared communication known as 'slow Infrared'. Modern devices likely use a variation of 'fast infrared' or some other protocol.

http://newtonglossary.com/terms/slow-infrared
http://newtonglossary.com/terms/fast-infrared

The older Newton devices use the ASK protocol, which is not IrDA-compatible.

http://newtonglossary.com/terms/ask

g.