[NTLK] Adding USB ports via PC Card adapter

Anthony Morrow anthonydmorrow at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 16:48:35 EDT 2017

On Mar 19, 2017, at 4:23 PM, Dennis Swaney <romad at mac.com> wrote:

> I have a Nexxtech  USB 2.0 CardBus PC Card Adapter and was wondering if it
> could be used to add USB connection to my MP2100. Has anyone ever tried one
> of these or something simillar?
>
> Sincerely,
> Dennis B. Swaney

It will not. CardBus PC Cards are 32-bit and the Newton only supports 16-bit cards. I’ve never seen a non-CardBus USB card, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. If one existed there would still the the challenge of writing a driver to add USB support and then answer the question of how to communicate with the Newton. I guess you could then attach a USB serial adapter (assuming someone wrote a driver for the serial chipset) and then use a null modem cable to connect to a PC.

Tony Morrow
http://lookanotherblog.com