[NTLK] By Newton

Forrest newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 27 21:01:21 EDT 2017

> On Mar 27, 2017, at 5:06 AM, Noah Leon <moosefuel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes I'm trying to decide whether I should splurge for a bluetooth PICO card

There is an alternate choice: a MiFi hotspot to connect any device you want to the Internet.

Such a device--basically a mobile WiFi router--would have to allow simple WEP security (or none) as an option, in order to connect the Newton. It would also likely offer more traditional security, like WPK, etc., to connect a notebook computer or tablet device.

Years ago I (and as I recall several others here) used such a device to make our Newtons truly "mobile". Mine was from Sprint (who was then my carrier), cost about $50 initially and was about $35-50 a month to operate (it was kind of like a phone but with no display or keyboard, though it had a telephone number). I stopped using it when I saw I had gotten out of the habit of carrying my MP2100 with me (silly man!).

I'm not sure what's being offered these days. Last I heard, a company in Japan was making a suitable type device.

Thanks,
Forrest

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 6 Plus