[NTLK] Restarting Newton development

j thej at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 2 14:33:01 EDT 2018

I agree with you completely !!
The good part is, we have a huge base of ideas and examples that have already been fully developed! The Newton is one of those systems.

On my recent (and not so recent. I was a participant of the dawn of personal computing :-) explorations of doc-centric computing, I have explored many great examples of systems and frameworks.

SK8, Copland, NeXtStep, BeOS, Taligent, OS/2, SOM & OpenDoc, Lisa, VPRI STEPS, Squeak, Self, Morphic, Lively Kernel, Newton and even ClarisWorks (it is a custom Frames based component system)

Not all matched “my needs” but were interesting examples of new approaches for the time.

The ones that I was attracted to the most were:
SK8, Taligent, OpenDoc, VPRI STEPS, Morphic and Newton.

Detailed descriptions and even source code in some cases are available for these systems.
We have TONS of ideas and examples to build from!!

I found the Newton OS one of the most interesting. Very functional and flexible yet very light weight. I felt that it would be the most likely system to reimplement and by the looks of the current open source code base, I was right !!

Jason