[NTLK] Hitting Reply [Was: Restarting Newton development?!]

Terence Griffin griffin at nist.gov
Thu Aug 9 16:23:52 EDT 2018

On 08/09/2018 03:51 PM, Terence Griffin wrote:
> On 08/09/2018 11:54 AM, Grant Hutchinson wrote:
>>> On Aug 7, 2018, at 9:42 AM, Terence Griffin <griffin at nist.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> I hit Reply and sent this and then wondered why it wasn't showing
>>> up. I didn't realize Reply goes to the individual... So, I'm
>>> re-sending and moving it to the Newton Development thread, even
>>> though there is a comment about the conference. Cheers!
>> I think this depends on your email client. Using the macOS Mail
>> application, Reply goes to the address designated in the reply-to
>> header, in the case of this list that is the
>> newtontalk at newtontalk.net address.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, what email client are you using?
>>
>> g.
>>

> I use Thunderbird. NIST receives email through Outlook 360. I set up
> Thunderbird to retrieve my work email from my Outlook 360 account.
>
> It does appear the Reply-to header is indeed set to NewtonTalk. That
> mean my client is sending replies to the From header. There have been
> bug like this in the past, fixed in ver 25.something. Maybe they
> brought that bug back for old times sake.
>
> - Tere

Turns out in Thunderbird 52.4, they brought it back as a feature. For
listserve messages, Reply will override the Reply-to header, using From
instead. They also added a new config setting to restore the correct
behavior: mail.override_list_reply_to. If it is set to true, it will
reply to the Form address. Set it to false, it will (correctly) reply to
Reply-to.